What is Coronavirus?
Coronavirus is a family of viruses that causes illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases like pneumonia, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS- CoV)
The new virus was confirmed on January 7, 2020, and was temporary named “2019-nCoV”.
Medics say Coronavirus is similar to Influenza, their signs and symptoms are alike.
- Coughs or sneezes from infected person
- Touching contaminated objects
Ways to reduce risk of infection.
- Wash hands for atleast 20 seconds with soap
- Avoid touching eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with infected people
Symptoms of Coronavirus
- After 2 to 7 days develop a dry cough
- Mild breathing difficulties
- Gastrointestinal issues
- General body aches
Patients are advised to:
- Take pain and fever medications
- Take hot shower to ease sore throats and cough
- If mildly sick, drink lots of water and stay at home and rest
Confirmed Areas with cases of Coronavirus
Reports of virus
- The death toll in China hits 106 with over 4,000 confirmed cases of the coronavirus.
- Reports indicate that there are atleast 85 Kenyan students stuck in Wuhan, China where the deadly Coronavirus broke out.
- The Ministry of foreign affairs in Nairobi advised the students to keep off Wuhan City until further advised.
- Authorities in China ordered closure of education institutions as 18 cities were placed on a lock down
- A Kenyan student from china has been quarantined at Kenyatta National Hospital over suspected Coronavirus